Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Chapter 20: Jesus - The Lines on His Face

Mark here. Well, here we are at the final chapter of Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz. I know I have found this an interesting and stretching read, and the comments and discussions that have taken place on this blog and in other places have truly been a blessing. I am really looking forward to starting into Leonard Sweet's 11 next week. The discussion is truly wide open to anybody who wants to participate. In fact, folks new to the discussion are welcome to go back and read over previous posts on Blue Like Jazz and comment on those posts as well to keep those conversations going.

After reading this chapter, I found myself thinking about the story of Jesus and his disciples in Mark 8:27-29:
Jesus went on with his disciples to the village of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, 'Who do people say that I am?' And they answered him, 'John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.' He asked them, 'But who do you say that I am?' Peter answered him, 'You are the Christ.'"

After reading this chapter, the whole book for that matter, I wonder, if Jesus asked you that question today, what would your answer be? Peter answered based on what he had experienced. Miller's answer was based on his experiences. What experiences would shape your answer?

Miller observes after reading through the Gospels: "... Jesus didn't just love me out of principle; He didn't just love me because it was the right thing to do. Rather, there was something inside me that caused Him to love me." What is that something? Is it something within us all or is it unique to each one of us?

Miller: "I think Christian spirituality is like jazz music. I think loving Jesus is something you feel. I think it is something very difficult to get on paper. But it is no less real, no less meaningful, no less beautiful." How do you find yourself most truly expressing love to Jesus?

I hope that you will know that you are a beloved child of God, created in His image, recreated in Christ. I hope that this week will not only provide an opportunity for you to experience Christ's love for you, but for you to express your love for Him in a clear and meaningful way. God bless you!

No comments: